Why? Cause I am high-risk for everything! High-risk for neural tube defects, heart defects, and under developed lungs (those are the biggest issues). Then there is the high risk for miscarriage, but I am 14 weeks, almost 15, so I'm mostly past that stage. But I am still high risk for stillbirth. Fun!
Being pregnant has made managing my blood sugar a serious issue. All these hormones are making my numbers jump up and down, which is not good for me or for a developing baby. So, I meet with my family doctor every 4 weeks, maternal and fetal medicine every 6 weeks (for now), and Diabetes Management every 3 weeks. I send my blood sugar numbers to 2 different CDEs (certified diabetic educators). And every visit goes over how my blood sugars have been.
So there is the scary facts and reasons why I have waited so long to tell everyone.
The good news, so far everything is fine (as far as doctors can tell). I have had 2 ultra sounds. Baby's heart beat is great, baby has a stomach, brain, heart, 2 arms, and 2 legs.
My first ultrasound was at week 11. Brad and I went to my PCP for the sonograph to hear the baby's heart beat. After spending a while talking about diabetes and pregnancy complications, the doc tried to find the heart beat and couldn't. So she pulled out her ultrasound machine. After a few minutes of searching she still couldn't find a baby and thought that my uterus looked too small. Then she starts talking about a possible missed-miscarriage. To say the least, Brad and I were concerned. So we get sent down to radiology for a legit ultrasound. They were trying to fit us in so we were sitting there waiting, while all the new about Josh Powell blowing his house up was playing on the tv. Very comforting.
Then we finally got called back. The ultrasound tech gets me lubbed up and after 30 seconds she says "Ok, I can put it on the big screen cause it's good news" and there was baby. No idea why my doc couldn't find the baby, but I was measuring perfect and baby was moving.
Then at 13 weeks Maternal Fetal did another ultrasound. That was fun. I got to watch baby hiccup. At 19 weeks I see Maternal Fetal Medicine again and we will (hopefully) find out the gender and see baby's organs better.
So, all in all, Brad and I are very excited (even if this was not really planned). Our families are pretty excited too. I might one day post a bump picture, but Brad insists that I don't have one. I'm just happy that I can eat and like chocolate again!
That is so great! Congratulations! Good luck with everything.
ReplyDeleteYAY!!!!! We are so happy for you guys! I can't imagine the stress of all the extra worry. Hopefully everything will go perfect!
ReplyDelete